Thursday, May 29, 2008

You Say You Want a Transformation...

Well, you know, we all want to change the world.

Wow. That's just about the cheesiest way to start off a post whose purpose is to link you to one of the most inspiring reads I've had in a while.

My friend, Leland Maschmeyer, now the Director of Strategy at COLLINS: (soon to be Director of Concept Design and Storytelling, I believe, as it is a more appropriate description of his job there) has recently posted "On Life Support: A Transformation Design Speech".

Let me start off by saying, it is fantastic. And not in a "Man, that Leland is a smart dude...I got through 66% of that post and understood 39% of it and of that 39% approximately 90% was f-ing brilliant" sort of way. I read the whole thing, comprehended all of it (I think) and found it very compelling. And I've been trying since our breakfast yesterday morning to figure out a way to expand on his thoughts. But just as Lee feared he'd never post his speech if he waited for every element, I fear I'll never pass on this link if I take time to build on it.

His observations/examples range from JFK to DJ Dangermouse, from Sao Paolo to Philadelphia's 30th Street Station, from Target to BP to tell the story of transformation design. Which he defines as "the process of developing a system of activity that enables organizations to support or create in individuals the positive change he or she desires." Because as he posits:

The companies that will thrive...will not be those with a great sales pitch. It will be those with a great support system.

He started out just wanting to make better marketing. But the opportunity seems quite a bit bigger (like changing the world bigger).

Enjoy reading the speech here.

No comments: