Monday, July 02, 2007

Word of the Week: Sexy-Ugly

Every so often you get a peek into vocabulary of your female counterparts, The Gen wYmen. Granted I'm very late to this and it's probably not the insider info you were hoping for, but I feel it's my job to keep other Gen GuYs in the know. Thus, I present, "sexy-ugly."

Sexy-Ugly (adj.)
Someone who is not conventionally good-looking (or any kind of good-looking in some cases), but possesses an appealing personality, style, or talent, and is thus considered sexually attractive by many. -urbandictionary.com

This term was first dropped like it was hot in the movie Kissing Jessica Stein. Mick Jagger is her example. The flick chicks have a vote going with Edward Norton beating out Adrian Brody for the top spot.

Our equivalent may be a SJP (Sarah Jessica Parker) - if you don't know that acronym, I can't help you. But overall I don't think sexy-ugly translates that well in our male vocabs. (No, not because we can't grunt it.) Perhaps sexy-bitchy is more real. OMG, SMG is SB - Oh my god, Sarah Michelle Gellar is sexy bitchy. You'd say that - right Jay? Maybe we can all agree on sexy-rich - Oprah and Bill Gates?

So you may never hear it but if nothing else, dropping a Kissing Jessica Stein reference on your latest fling will offset the carpenter jeans you rocked on the last date. Good luck out there.

No comments: